So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit.
1. The Church – What are your first thoughts as you consider the church? What has your experience been of the church? Is “the household of God centered on Christ filled with the Holy Spirit” a way that you would describe it? Or do other things jump out to you?
2. The Cost – What has it cost you to be a part of the church? What did it cost God to make it? What does that say about God’s love for the church?
3. Loving – How can you love the church? What application does this passage have on you?
4. Members – What do you think about Eric’s exhortations to grow in:
– diversity (variety of membership to reflect God’s beauty),
– congregational responsibility (of all members for the whole church – Gal 3, Rev 3&4 – expressed in hospitality and concern for corporate decisions),
– and immensity (seeing the church for all of its beauty and glory as the expression of Christ’s ongoing work in the world)?
Are those things important to you? Why are they important to our church? How can you grow in these areas?